Monday, October 5, 2009

Fig Season is Here!

I love watermelon and it truly is my favorite 'affordable' fruit that I can enjoy for a long time starting in late spring and through the summer. So, what's this have to do with figs, you ask?

Figs are an indulgence for me. First, I have to find somewhere to purchase them that they aren't all mushy, over weepy and moldy. That's a big challenge as my local grocery store's produce folks get few in, as I suspect they aren't a big seller here on the East Coast and they tend to be handled by many people who don't know what they are nor understand their fragility.

So, when I can find them at a produce dealer that treats them well they are somewhat pricey and I can often only afford about 2-3 of the precious fruits, leaving me with little to indulge in a recipe other than maybe some goat cheese or with some good ice cream.

I found this link from the Serious Eats Newsletter and thought maybe, just maybe I'll indulge a bit more and make something special...so I'm passing it along...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/09/in-season-figs-choosing-storing-recipes-20090926.html?utm_source=Serious+Eats+Weekly+Newsletter&utm_campaign=6c017a488a-Serious_Eats_Weekly_Newsletter_October_5_2009&utm_medium=email

Take a read and tell me what you think!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, you haven't lived so well as when you can eat a ripe fig picked right off the tree. This was a big surprise for me when we lived in Campbell CA for a year and had a fig tree and grapes growing in our tiny backyard. I savor that memory. I'm not sure I'd eat a store bought fig here.

    ReplyDelete