Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I Can't Believe What They're Saying About Froot Loops! Can You?

I came across this article in the NYTimes today about the new food labeling program and how they are crucifying my favorite cereal of all time!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/05/business/05smart.html?pagewanted=2&sq=froot%20loops&st=cse&scp=1

If I'm completely honest, I have to admit, Froot Loops have forever been one of my weaknesses. Captain Crunch with Crunchberries, too. I liked to eat all the Captain Crunch, then load up my spoon with the crunchberries. Wow! What a sugar-fix! Same thing with Lucky Charms...eat all the marshmallows at one time as they squeak against your teeth.


I, like many in my generation who grew up in the late 1960's through the mid 1970's have dined on sugar laden cereals and loved them!

Froot Loops, Sugar, er, uh...Honey Crisp (name change later on), Captain Crunch; plain or with Crunchberries, Lucky Charms, Cocoa Puffs and Coco Krispies, Quisp (remember that one?) Corn Pops, Trix and a myriad of colorful boxes and over-processed foodstuffs were the mainstay of the breakfast table and late night snacks most of my life.



Ok, I understand they are over processed and over priced in what the product delivers if you compare it to say, a healthy bowl of granola, some low fat yogurt and fruit. Even some eggs and bacon pack more of a nutritional punch than a bowl of Froot Loops or Captain Crunch, but what about the toy in the bottom of the box? What about reading that box while swishing that cereal around in in the milk?

There is a whole generation out there that grew up doing that. Sitting at the table in your flannel pajamas with the feet in them, swinging your legs back and forth, reading the box you just opened and then pouring out the box into a huge bowl to find the toy!

I'm guessing that in moderation, these aren't too bad for you. I mean, what's the serving size? 1 1/4 cups or something? I have never stuck to that. In fact, if I'm honest here, I could eat a good half box or more for dinner!

Just like ice cream, I don't keep much of these cereals on hand anymore. Too much sugar (I know they aren't healthy, but damn they are yummy!) and if they are around I'll eat them. I don't need no damn check mark! Just a big yeller box marked Cheerios these days to help keep that cholesterol down!

Food labels are such jokes till you get down to the nitty gritty of the nutrition section. And now, once again, bigwigs in the food industry are doing something to boost sales. Does anyone remember when cholesterol was a big deal? It was a peanut butter label that caught my eye with, "A Cholesterol Free Food."

Huh? Really? Wow, that makes it so much better! Oh wait...cholesterol only comes from animal derived products. So what's that about? Money...sales...same ol, same ol...just like now...trying to boost the bucks and convince the American public that its a better choice than some...

Read the labels, know what's good for you and use common sense and moderation...it's really the only way.

No comments:

Post a Comment