Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Summer Recipes: Cold Cucumber Soup w/Dill & Mint and Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Salad

Suddenly there were cucumbers everywhere! One little plant survived that late May frost and let me tell you, it is growing and producing fruit faster than most of us can eat. Wishing the stringbeans were doing the same thing, but alas...it's the gamble of the gardener.

So, here's what I did over the weekend. You know that lightbulb that comes over your head and you suddenly feel smart? Yeah, that hardly happens to me, too! Anyway, I thought of a nice cold soup for dinner and with all the cukes I had, it was a simple idea that took little time or ingredients. And was nearly fat-free at that!

Cold Cucumber Soup with Dill & Mint
3-4 Cucumbers, peeled and seeded and cut into chunks
2 cups plain, fat-free yogurt
1/2 to 1 cup fat-free milk
1-2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup each, fresh dill and fresh mint leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
Add cucumbers, garlic and herbs to a food processor and puree.
Pour mixture into a bowl and allow to sit at least one hour...longer if you are busy.
Before serving add yogurt, milk and salt and pepper and whisk well to mix.
To serve, place into bowls and add a tablespoon of crumbled feta to the top.
Serves 4
Remember those tomatoes I spoke about from the farmers' market that cost $5 a pound? Well, I had to do something simple with them so as not to hide flavor. I had purchased a red heirloom called a Paul Robeson and a green called Aunt Ruby - I think. I'm all about tomatoes, especially the heirlooms! With some fresh basil in pots in the back yard and some mozzarella in the refrigerator, here's what I did. Hope you enjoy!
Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Salad
Slice one large tomato into four slices and place on platter
Add one basil leave to the top of tomato
Top with a thick slice of mozzarella cheese
Place a basil leaf on top of cheese
Slice a smaller tomato and size it to fit on top of the last basil leaf
Drizzle over olive oil and sprinkle some coarse salt on top and serve.
Serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a salad.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, sounds good, Rose. Time for dinner, so with your inspiration, I'm off to zucchini-stirfry-land. I wish we lived closer so I could share some zucs with you. My garden is a zucchini factory...and not much else this year! At least so far...
    San

    ReplyDelete